Four Paramount+ originals — “Star Trek: Prodigy,” “Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies,” “The Game” and “Queen of the Universe” — have ended their run on the streaming service and removed as streamers Preparing to Go TheWrap has learned that it is preparing to merge with Showtime.
A spokesperson for Paramount+ told TheWrap, “As we prepare to combine Paramount+ and Showtime in the US later this month, we will continue to optimize our content offerings to provide the best streaming experience for customers. Refined.” “The Paramount+ series ‘Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies,’ ‘Star Trek: Prodigy,’ ‘Queen of the Universe’ and ‘The Game’ have completed their run on Paramount+ and will not be returning to the service. We want to thank our extremely talented cast and crew and our producing partners for their tremendous work and dedication on these shows, and we wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
Financial concerns and discoverability on the service played a role in Paramount+’s decision to cancel these series rather than remove them entirely. The company will announce the financial impact of these changes during a subsequent earnings call.
Nickelodeon and CBS Studios will have an option to purchase “Star Trek: Prodigy” to other networks, as will Paramount Television Studios with an option to purchase “Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies” and CBS Studios will have an option to license Will happen. “game” elsewhere.
Of the four, the least is known about the possible future of the “Queen of the Universe” from World of Wonders. The final four episodes of the series premiered on June 22 and the series is expected to be lifted on June 30.
The cancellation and ouster of “Star Trek: Prodigy” is arguably the most shocking, considering that Kevin and Dan Hageman’s series was previously ordered for two seasons. Season 2 of the animated show for young viewers was expected to premiere later this year. Season 1 of the series will be dropped from Paramount+ shortly. Meanwhile, Season 2 is currently in post-production, and the studio is currently looking for a new home for the series.
“Star Trek: The Prodigy will not return for a second season as previously announced. On behalf of everyone at Paramount+, Nickelodeon and CBS Studios, we’d like to thank the Hagemans, Ben Hibon, Alex Kurtzman and the Secret Hideout team, as well as the fantastic cast and crew, for their hard work and dedication in bringing the series to life Are. a spokesperson for Paramount+ said.
Even with this removal, it doesn’t look like Paramount+ has severed its ties with Alex Kurtzman’s “Star Trek” universe. Young-adult focused “Star Trek: Starfleet Academy” and the film program “Star Trek: Section 31” are still in the works. Additionally, “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds” has been confirmed for Season 3, “Star Trek: Lower Decks” has been confirmed for Season 4, and the final season of “Star Trek: Discovery” is still in progress. work is going on.
Although this is happening as the streamer prepares to combine with Showtime, Paramount+ continues a dangerous trend in streaming by ditching its originals. Last year, many of Max’s originals — formerly known as HBO Max — were pulled from the service and either moved to other services or were added to Warner Bros. – also included the million dollar hit “Westworld”. In May, Disney+ also announced that it would be removing “certain content” from its streaming platform.